I'm not much one for breakfast on a normal day, mostly because I primarily like hot breakfast or pastry most of the time which is either time-consuming or fattening for everyday. However, there are a few exceptions and smoothies are one of them. I started making my own smoothies when I got engaged several years ago as part of my pre-wedding diet and there are lots of things I love about them. First of all, when I have a mixed berry smoothie, I get a mahoosive burst of energy. Second, it doesn't require any more attention than drinking my morning coffee once it's made - no forks or knives required. Finally, most of the ingredients in my smoothies are frozen, easy to get year-round or have a long shelf life, so it's not hard to keep these things on hand. It takes about 5 minutes to make a smoothie, but the benefits last until lunch.
One other great benefit of a smoothie is that you can 'hide' things in there. A few years ago I read about the wonderful health benefits of yoghurt and honey. I unfortunately don't like either as they are, but I can't taste them in a smoothie - it's a win/win situation for me!
This is the recipe I've been making for a while - it's so delicious, you'd never guess it's healthy!
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1 whole banana peeled
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons fat free plain yoghurt
- 3/4 cup Almond Milk
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend until it resembles the consistency of a runny milkshake. If it packs up in the blender because it's all too cold, leave it to rest for 5 minutes before trying again. You can always add more Almond milk a little at a time if you need to.
This recipe yields two small smoothies or one large one (about a pint glass full) and it's delicious!